In line with the growing demand for non-alcoholic beer options and flavor variety, Chr. Hansen is committed to providing brewers with top-notch technology to cater to this lucrative market segment and launches two new strains for non-alcoholic brewing.
“With new strains in our portfolio, brewers can now offer an even greater variety of flavors to consumers who are seeking non-alcoholic options,” said Sofie Saerens, Senior Commercial Development Manager at Chr. Hansen.” Our SmartBev® NEER® technology provides the full beer experience, creating a well-integrated body and mouthfeel that rivals traditional alcoholic beers. Plus, our yeast technology streamlines the brewing process, enabling cost savings and sustainability benefits.”
“We believe that every consumer deserves a great-tasting beer, regardless of their choice to consume alcohol or not. Our new strains, NEER® Poly and NEER® Punch, are a testament to our commitment to pushing the boundaries of flavor in the non-alcoholic beer market. We’re excited to offer brewers the tools they need to meet the growing demand for high-quality, flavorful non-alcoholic options.”
More flavor options available
With the addition of NEER® Poly and NEER® Punch, the SmartBev® NEER® technology range now comprises three distinct Pichia kluyveri yeast strains, each thoroughly selected to bring the full beer experience without the alcohol.
The new strains perfectly complement the original strain in our portfolio recommended for a refreshing balanced beer, giving brewers an expanded palette of flavors to customize their beers according to taste preferences:
- NEER® Poly – Ideal for those who prefer a more neutral impact of the yeast, allowing the malt and hops to shine in the beer’s flavor profile. Excellent choice for pilsner, stout, and ale beers.
- NEER® Punch – Best suited for a fruit-forward beer, this strain rolls out full ester characters, adding depth and complexity to the flavor. Ideal yeast for IPAs, wheat, and fruit beers.
These new strains have been sourced from the VIB-KULeuven Center for Microbiology, known for its extensive collection of yeast and a longstanding experience in yeast fermentation.
Supporting the shift to non-alcoholic beverages
Consumers are increasingly motivated to explore low/no alcohol beverages due to health and wellness concerns, as well as the diminishing stigma around non-drinkers. Flavor and taste remain crucial factors in consumer acceptance of these beverages, highlighting the importance of offering diverse flavor options to meet market demand. In fact, recent data from Euromonitor indicates the global non-alcoholic beer market has seen a 5% compound annual growth rate from 2018-22 and is forecasted to grow by 7% over the next five years (2023-27).
Fast route to market with less energy, malt, and water
The most common method of making alcohol-free beer require brewing full-strength beer as one would with a traditional beer, then removing the alcohol and adding flavoring. Brewing with SmartBev® NEER® transforms wort flavors directly into beer flavors without producing alcohol.
In addition to enhancing flavor variety, brewing with Chr. Hansen’s SmartBev® NEER® technology offers several business benefits:
- Malt and energy savings: Direct fermentation reduces malt needs up to 65%, leading to significant energy savings and a decreased carbon footprint.
- Water conservation: Reduced malt usage means less water consumption during production.
- Accelerated production: With a consistent fermentation time of 2-3 days and no maturation needed, production is expedited.
- Swift market entry: With NEER®, the time from initial contact to final product can be shortened to six months, allowing for a rapid response to flavor trends.
Have a taste at the BrauBeviale fair
Chr. Hansen will be at the BrauBeviale fair coming up, and our experts would be happy to meet you. Come by our booth, learn more about new strains, and not the least try out the non-alcoholic beer brewed with SmartBev® NEER®.
SmartBev and NEER are trademarks of Chr. Hansen.